How to Join
How much does it cost?
Membership of the Irish Pony Club is €100 per year. Membership runs from January to December and includes members’ insurance. There will also be charges for rallies, training meetings and competitions. You should contact the DC or membership secretary of your local branch for full details as some branches may offer discounts or include a number of rallies in their subscription fee.
Do I need to own my own pony to join?
It is not a requirement to own your own pony to join. However, you will need to be able to bring a pony, whether it is your own, on loan or hired, to your branch rallies and training days which may be held at various locations. You should contact the DC of your local branch for full details as some branches meet at an equestrian centre and may be able to provide a pony on loan for the rally.
What should I do next?
If you would like to join or just need more information then the next step is to contact your Mags Hutchinson on 085 154 4791. She is the membership secretary and will provide you with all the information that you need to join. New Members Membership Application form can be filled out and returned to your branch DC or membership secretary.
Do I have to be able to ride to a high standard to join?
We cater for all standards of rider from those who are just off the lead rein to very experienced riders. We provide activities for all abilities. You should contact the DC of your local branch for further information.
What are the age limits?
There is no official minimum age but generally members should be able to ride unassisted before we accept them as a member. We have members aged from about 5 who joined once they were off the lead rein, although it is up to the discretion of the branch DC. The maximum age is 23. You should contact the DC of your local branch for further information.
Why should I join?
- The IPC provides highly trained and experienced instructors, including instructors with international experience.
- You can learn all aspects of horsemanship and horse welfare.
- There is a structured system of achievement and test badges to reward achievement as you progress as a rider.
- We provide the opportunity to try out various equestrian disciplines including show jumping, eventing, jump cross, dressage, mounted games, tetrathlon (riding, running, swimming & shooting), and jockey skills.
- Branches run summer camps (which may be residential) which for many members is the highlight of the year.
- There is an opportunity to compete in local, regional and national competitions. If you’re really lucky you could qualify to represent Ireland in international events.
- You can follow in the footsteps of many of Ireland’s leading riders such as Bertram Allen and Camilla Speirs who rose through the ranks of the Irish Pony Club.
- We’re a friendly bunch and it’s great fun!
If you would like to join or just need more information then the next step is to contact our membership secretary Claire Goodwillie who will provide you with all the information that you need to join. Her number is -86 8535115 or you can send an email to email@example.com
If you are happy to join now, click here and select Membership for an application form.